Tracker2 Series APRS Tracker
The Tracker2 series is currently being replaced by the Tracker3 series. Tracker2 models may still be available by special order.
Successor to the OpenTracker, the Tracker2 bridges the gap between APRS tracker and TNC. It retains all of the APRS functions of the OpenTracker+, and adds far more:
- Plots received positions as waypoints - APRS stations, objects, and items received over the air can be passed to a GPS receiver to be plotted on its map display. When used with a supported Garmin or Magellan GPS receiver, waypoints will be created with appropriate map symbols, comment text, and elevations.
- KISS support - Use with any packet program that supports the standard KISS interface protocol.
- APRS Digipeater - Supports multiple aliases, WIDEn-n and TRACEn-n style callsign substitution with dupe checking, hop count limiting, and optional preemption. May be used simultaneously with tracking and KISS functions.
- Command console - A traditional TNC2-style serial console provides a simple, platform-independent configuration interface. Additionally, APRS station-to-station messages may be sent and received from the command line.
- Remote control via APRS - Most of the commands available at the console may also be issued through APRS station-to-station text messages. This allows the unit to be reconfigured from anywhere in the world with APRS access. Access can be limited by callsign and through the use of a secure one-time-password scheme.
- Upgradeable - Firmware updates are free and easy to install. Firmware images can be downloaded directly from the website with the Windows-based configuration utility, or they can be transferred to the unit from any XMODEM-capable terminal program for cross-platform compatibility.
- Flexible and Expandable - Extra analog inputs and digital I/O lines, plus a Dallas 1-wire bus, allow connection of a wide variety of devices.
- SmartBeaconing™ - APRS tracking with SmartBeaconing™ support for automatic beacon rate control, compressed format support for shorter packets and better precision, and timeslotting for efficient, coordinated channel usage.
- Weather Station Support - Supports Peet Bros, AAG 1-wire, and LaCrosse WS-2300 series weather stations.
- On-board temperature and voltage telemetry (OT2m only)
- Scripting - A simple scripting and macro language allows a degree of flexibility and programmability not found in other trackers.
- Dual serial ports (via splitter cable for OT2m, or front-panel data jack for T2-135).
Tracker2 model OT2m
The standalone OT2m model has all of the above features, and comes fully assembled in a heavy-duty steel enclosure. It is not available in a kit format. The OT2m also includes a 30 amp solid-state relay for remote or timed control of DC loads or automatic control of radio power.
Tracker2 model T2-301
The T2-301 is a combination of the Friendcom FC-301/D VHF data radio and a Tracker2 daughter board. All of the Tracker2's standard functions, except for on-board temperature measurement, are present in the T2-301. In addition, the transmit and receive frequency and RF power output can be set through the Tracker2, including by remote command.
While the rated power output is 5 watts, the maximum power setting can be as high as 9.5 watts, depending on supply voltage. The radio has FCC Part 90 and CE certifications, making it legal for use on commercial frequencies (from 136 to 174 MHz) in both the US and Europe. (Note that the power output must not be set higher than 5 watts for commercial use.)
Tracker2 model T2-135
The T2-135 version is an add-on board designed to fit the Alinco DR-135T (as well as the -235 and -435) in place of the original EJ-41U TNC. Like the regular Tracker2, it acts as a bidirectional tracker (transmitting positions and plotting received stations as waypoints), digipeater, and limited KISS TNC. However, it lacks the on-board temperature and voltage sensors of the standard board.
|Voltage||DC 6.5 to 28V||5 volts (powered by radio)|
|Current||12 mA idle, 30 mA transmitting
350 mA @ 5 V available for GPS
|12 mA idle, 30 mA transmitting|
|Modes||1200 bps AFSK (send and receive)
300 bps AFSK, PSK31 (send only)
|1200 bps AFSK (send and receive)
300 bps AFSK, PSK31 (send only)
|Radio Connector||DB9 female (Kantronics pinout)||internal|
|Serial Connector||DB9 male (dual RS-232)||Rear DB female, front 3.5mm jack|
|Dimensions||4.2" by 3.2" by 1"||2.3" by 1.4" by 0.3"|
|GPS Interface||NMEA in/out, Garmin Binary||NMEA in/out, Garmin Binary|